Skip to content

Baby Project the First – Cloth Diapers

June 20, 2011

I’ve said before that this spring bit me with the sewing bug. It really started with me trying to do some more clothing for me. (I have a few projects I still need to share from before the belly started growing.) Then that got put on hold (body changing) and I needed another sewing project to pour my energy into. So I started making these.

This was actually my second one (which almost looks identical to the first). It’s a newborn pocket diaper with a PUL exterior and a suedecloth interior. If you have ever ventured into cloth diapers now, you know that there is a staggering amount of information out there. This particular diaper was made from the Cloth Revolution pattern (a freebie!) which I really liked and was a pretty good place to start.


This diaper is a cover with a PUL interior and a flannel exterior. Even though it is super cute, I don’t actually think this one will work very well. It very well may have wicking issues. This is from the Tighty Whitey Hipster pattern (also a freebie). I did it backwards from their instructions (bigger on the inside and smaller on the outside) hoping the PUL would curl around to the front. As soon as I cased the elastic, that eliminated any movement of the PUL.


After that I broke down and purchased the Darling Diapers Unlimited Pattern. It was so worth the purchase. The pattern is 80 pages long, and a ton of that is instructions and tips. Although I’m kind of glad I started with a few others, because it may have been overwhelming at first. This diaper is a cover with a PUL inside and cotton outside. I did the rolled elastic just right so that the PUL will come around to the outside and that will help eliminate any wicking on the cotton.

I’ve also made several inserts, but they’re not as cute or interesting. The tricky thing about making the diapers before baby gets here…I have no idea if they will work! So I plan on making a few, having a good understanding of how to make them so I can whip them up quick, and having materials ready. Not to mention, these are all newborn size and there are no small babies in either of our families.

3 Comments leave one →
  1. June 23, 2011 8:20 am

    these all look adorable:)

  2. June 27, 2011 7:21 am

    Little diapers ar so cute! I made a stack of diapers using the Wee Weka free pattern in a medium size, they worked for my daughter from 6 months and are now only getting too small at 2.5 years, so I got good use out of them (we’re about to toilet train soon). Velcro is great for ease of use, but my little monkey worked out how to open the tabs so she could run around the house nude! I have now bought a snap press and put plastic snaps on all her nappies to foil her….

  3. July 8, 2011 7:16 pm

    I think making diapers from a variety of patterns is a great plan when you are making them before your model arrives! I sew diapers for my daughter and am working on a newborn stash for whenever we have another baby! I love sewing diapers :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: