October 5, 2006
Here’s my Socktoberfest Questionaire all about my history of socks. Enjoy!
- When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? When I moved to Eugene I was desperate for some human interaction after having stayed in my apartment for a few weeks by myself. I went to my LYS and they taught me how to knit socks, free of charge! I didn’t even buy any yarn at the time. I now try to shop there whenever I can. I think I started my first pair in August 05 and I posted them on my blog October 11th 2005.
- What was your first pair? How have they “held up” over time? I don’t wear them very often because the cuffs are a little big and the yarn is a little too thick for regular shoes. Plus, I’m not sure one year can constitute the “test of time”.
- What would you have done differently? Nothing. I used up some yarn from my stash for the first pair. After that, I quickly got started on some socks of my own design (Skully Socks). My first socks have some wierd parts in the colors because the two balls I had were from different dyelots. (Ooops!)
- What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? I feel like I’ve barely started exploring sock yarns. I like varigated colors, but I’m not really using the self striping any more. Right now I have socks on my needles from Yarn that I dyed myself, which is fun. I would really like to try some Trekking, Socks that Rock, or Koigu but haven’t been able to justify adding to the stash.
- Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I crocheted a few pair before I started really knitting. I don’t really like the crocheted socks because they don’t stretch and the fabric is too bulky. It’s part of the reason I became such a knit freak. I knit them on 2 circulars, although I’ve also been known to use DPNs. I haven’t tried Magic Loop. 2 Circulars are easy to stuff in a purse and know the stitchs won’t fall off the needles.
- Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) I don’t think I’ve tryed short row yet. Maybe I’ll do that for Socktoberfest.
- How many pairs have you made? First pair, Scully Socks, Amy’s Stripes, Jaywalkers, Globe Trotters, Around the World, Widdershins, Friday Harbor, Sock Wars, River Rapids. That’s 10 pairs! Not bad for a year, huh?