Skip to content

June MagKnits is Up!

June 1, 2006

My pattern is up on MagKnits! The Saturday Market bag my first pattern published, hopefully one of many more to come. Here’s a picture of my bag.
Saturday Market Bag
This bag holds a lot of stuff. In the picture I have a fleece blanket, my lace knitting, an apple and the book Knitting Rules, by Stehpanie Pearl-McPhee. You could definitely fit a picinic or a weeks worth of produce.

There are quite a few cool patterns in this months edition. I especially like the socks Tropicana. Vegan is another Oregon knitter. All of the tops are so cute!

If you decide to make the bag, feel free to e-mail me with any questions and I would also love to see photos your finished product. Happy knitting!

Advertisements
22 Comments leave one →
  1. Camo permalink
    June 1, 2006 11:49 am

I am obsessed with knit tote bags–thank you so much for putting this pattern out!

2. June 1, 2006 11:54 am

Congrats! I think I’ll have to try it out myself. Seems like it would be good for the beach, too.

3. June 1, 2006 1:08 pm

Congrats on your pattern in MagKnits! Cool bag! I look forward to making it!

4. June 1, 2006 1:17 pm

I’ve just taken a look at MagKnits and I’ve fallen in love with your pattern. I adore this bag, I’m ready to knit it! Greetings from Italy.

5. June 1, 2006 2:41 pm

wow. congrats on the pattern.

6. June 1, 2006 3:42 pm

Great pattern…the farmer’s market is open in Denver too, and this bag would be perfect!

7. June 1, 2006 4:10 pm

I printed this out immediately…I printed out the tropicana socks too….great issue of magknits. Congrats for your pattern being there!

STR is socks that rokc…they’ll have a booth at the Black Sheep Gathering (you know about that, yes??) at the end of this month. And Stitches is a huge knitting expo that was held in NoCal in February.

Anyway…we should get together for coffee/tea and knitting…the week of 6/19? I’ll be done then!

8. June 1, 2006 7:15 pm

I’m so happy for you–a published designer! And a way cute bag. I’m eager to make it for all my farmer’s market shopping friends. Kudos to you!

9. Jodie permalink
    June 2, 2006 11:07 am

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. I couldn’t believe the amount of traffic that my blog got yesterday. It was quite the whirlwind of excitment.

I thought about the beach for this bag too, or “the coast” as the Orgeganders call it. It lets sand in, but the nice thing is it will let it out too.

Of course I’m going to the Black Sheep Festival! I can’t wait! I did a post about it here if you want the info. I’ve never gone to any sort of knitting festival before.

Kim the week of 6/19 sounds great for coffee/tea.

Like I said before, I would love to see pictures of your bags if you are willing to share. I would love to have a gallery of all the finished bags, with links, on this blog. Mainly I want to see the rainbow of different colors people choose.

10. June 2, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi Jodie,

Both the bag and the new header look great! I’ve been looking for a good sturdy yarn for bags–I tend to load mine up with way too much stuff. How much weight do you think your bag could comfortably carry?

11. June 2, 2006 6:19 pm

Jodie –
    Your market bag has inspired me to pick up my needles again. (I’ve been in a bit of a knit blanket-induced funk lately).
    And lucky for me I have lots of ‘Sugar and Cream’!

P.S. – did you just change the header? I could have sworn it was a different colour the first time I popped in here. :-)

12. June 3, 2006 9:15 am

Great bag! Perfect summer knitting. It’s nice to see a knitted version of this type of bag. I made a crocheted one years ago, but I’d like to give this one a try.
    Thanks for sharing it with us!

13. June 3, 2006 6:18 pm

Congrats Jodie! This is exactly what I’ve been searching for (knit not crochet). I love the long handle so that I can carry it easier. I’ve just cast-on (with some ugly stash sugar-n-cream — i couldn’t wait)!

14. June 4, 2006 12:40 pm

Hi *waves*

I wandered over here from MagKnits. Love the bag! I think I have the yarn I want to use for it in my stash. Yay! New project to cast-on when I get home from work!

15. Jill permalink
    June 5, 2006 3:12 am

Hey, dig the pattern. I’ve been frustrated by the total lack of string bags on sale in Adelaide. Made me homesick for Eugene!

But I have to ask, why don’t you make the bag circular if you’re using circular needles? Is it stronger with the side seam?

16. Jodie permalink
    June 5, 2006 7:18 am

Yvonne, I’m not sure how much weight the bag can carry. Let’s say some celery, a few oranges, some broccoli, a few bannanas and maybe some romain lettuce. I could be more. If you really want it to be sturdy I would make the strap wider. Right now it’s only 6 sts wide, expanding that to 10 could help distribute the load more.

The whole circulars thing is quite the mix up. Here is the real skinny. The US size 10 needles are supposed to be the circulars. I guess you could do the whole bag circular, but I like the seams so that the bottom and sides had less stretch and were a little more sturdy. When I made my bag I used US size 15 straight needles.

The part labled top is where the circular needles come in. This part is where you knit in the round. if you wanted to do it on straight needles, there is probably a way, but I just wanted a few rows of garter stitch at the top so that 1)the opening was a little smaller than the bag itself, giving it more shape and more ablitly to keep it’s contents inside and 2)again make it a little more sturdy for the straps.

I hope this helps any questions you had. If not, post here or e-mail me.

I did change my header, thanks for noticing. I’ve been enjoying visiting all of the commenters blogs.

17. June 5, 2006 10:19 am

Very cool bag! I’m psyched to make it, and get rid of the guilt I feel at using plastic bags when I buy organic vegetables at the co-op. Thanks!

18. June 5, 2006 12:11 pm

Love your bag pattern, and congrats to you!!

19. June 12, 2006 5:05 pm

So cute! Congrats on getting published!! :)

20. Jodie permalink
    June 12, 2006 11:28 pm

Hopefully I can make a few more soon. We do our grocery shopping at a place where we bag our own grocerys making it very easy to use these. Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

21. July 2, 2006 5:27 am

I’ll hopefully have a go at this pattern soon – I’m a new knitter and have never tried lace before, and the bag looks soooo useful! Just one question – if the top is knit on circulars, how long should they be? I’m guessing if it’s 28cm across the top 60cm circulars might be a bit too long?

Trackbacks